I think God smiles when we value relationships and seek to bless others by opening the door’s to our home and family. God loves family and His is a big one that we are all invited into. He knows that being in close relationships makes us bigger and better people.
When we are around people, whether it’s a blood relative or someone who you now call “family” we can also often be confronted with our own quirks and perhaps some issues we might need to address. That’s often how God grows us. It’s easy to get along with people when it’s just you! The bible says “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another”. (Proverbs 27:17) Those people who can irritate us may actually be the making of us.
Today take a look around you and give thanks for the people in your world, whether it is your immediate relatives or those who you have chosen to share your life with. God has brought them into your world to love, support and help you and vice versa.
Here’s some ideas to value your time together:
- Make a plan to regularly set aside time to spend together. If you don’t look for opportunities, the busyness of life will no doubt swallow the time up, so make the effort to make it happen.
- Make traditions – they can be a good thing.
- Value those in your world – time goes quickly and these moments are precious. If you haven’t taken the opportunity in the past, make a decision to start now.
- Forgive – let grudges go, and look to the future. Ask God to help you know what and how to move past hurts, so that you can build something new.
- Look at what you do have already, and not only at others faults.. People are flawed, and yes fickle at times. Choose to focus on the positives and what you can relate to. Sometimes what holds us together may be just a thread, but hold onto that thread.
- Don’t look back and think, “I wish I had done that, or made more time”. Start today.
Prayer: Lord I thank you for the people in my world. I ask that you help me to appreciate the moments we have together and to look for ways to bless them today. In Jesus name amen