There are days when we can feel “got at”. You know the type of day where life isn’t going quite as it should, people are just downright annoying or being awful and you want to yell, “Stop I’m getting off here”!
The unfortunate fact is that not everything always goes absolutely to plan and nobody behaves perfectly all the time…..we aren’t perfect, our family and friends aren’t’ perfect and the people that we share the rest of the world with are definitely not perfect.
So what do we do when we feel like we are being “got at” and a holiday to the Bahamas or Italy looks really tempting? Well we could buy a plane ticket and disappear for a few weeks or months, (I can highly recommend Florence) or we can do the following…
1.Understand that our enemy is not flesh and blood….(yes a few minutes in our flesh would make us feel better short term I know), but our ultimate battle is with the evil mastermind behind situations going awry or people behaving badly… Understand who the real enemy is and take your stand against him! (Ephesians 6:12)
2. Recognise that people are people and that if we don’t lean into Jesus, remember who we are and do what He says we can all mess up… Choose grace instead of judgement.
3. Take responsibility for your own stuff– essentially nobody has the power to make us feel or think something we don’t give them permission to. We are all powerful, intelligent, amazing beings created in the image of God, so don’t be giving your power up to anyone else and then blaming them for how you are feeling.
“So then each of us will give an account of himself to God” (Romans 14:12)
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2)
4. Remember who God says you are, what He says about your life and future and determine to think on, declare and rest in that truth and no other. (Jeremiah 29:11)
“For you are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:10)
“Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.”(Matthew 10:29:31)
5. Forgive –when we hold a grudge or anger towards someone else we don’t actually hurt the other person the most…we hurt ourselves and essentially put our lives under bondage to un-forgiveness, bitterness and every evil work that the devil wants to try and bring into our lives. With un-forgiveness comes sickness, stress, anxiety, relationship break downs and unflattering wrinkles… Choose to forgive and close the door on the enemy’s plans to mess with and destroy your life.
“For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”(Matthew 6:14-15)
“And now you must repent and turn back to God so that your sins will be removed, and so that times of refreshing will stream from the Lord’s presence.”(Acts 3:19)
6. Trust God – when we give God our issues and hurts and choose to stand on His promises He says that He will go to work on our behalf. We don’t need to defend ourselves, strike back, protect or lower ourselves to someone else’s level. God declares that “vengeance is His”, and He will sort out wickedness, lies, and any weapon formed against us so that it will not prosper against us… so if your circumstances are not good yet, God’s not done yet. Choose to step back, keep your hands off and only do what He says and trust God to work all things together for your good. (Romans 8:28)
“The Lord will fight for you and you shall hold your peace.”(Exodus 14:14)
“I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.”(Psalm 121:1-2)
7. Do some hard exercise; go for a run, brisk walk, hit the gym, punch a boxing bag or pillow and get your angst at the world out, preferably without yelling at, slandering or hurting someone else.
8. Praise –find ten good things to focus on. Yes you will have to be disciplined if you are feeling really “got at”, but there is always good around us because God is good, so shift your focus.
Start singing, giving thanks, and being grateful. Choose to make a joyful noise and in doing so get perspective, bring God into your circumstances and silence the enemy. Amazingly God promises that when we get into praise and thanksgiving we do all the above things in one hit. Praise is powerful, so use it.
“Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger”… (Psalm 8:2)
8. Give it to Jesus and leave it there – unless we do this we will just continue carrying around the weight of whatever is bothering us, been said against us, or is just plain annoying our day. Cast all your cares upon Jesus because He cares for you, fix your eyes on Him, shake off the things that are trying to get to you, and run your race…
“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7)
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”(Hebrews 12:1-2)
Life can have it’s moments, but I encourage you to come above them today and keep moving forward because your day and life is far too important to get distracted by people or situations that most of the time you won’t even remember or be adversely affected by in a few years time.
Prayer: Lord thank you that you are with me and that you promise to be my ever present help, strength and comfort. Please help me today to keep my eyes fixed on you and the good things you have for me to walk in. In Jesus name Amen.