The dictionary definition of hope is to expect, aspire, wish, aim, plan, dream, yearn, crave and to wait for and want something to happen.
Whenever we are believing for anything to happen in life then hope will be involved. Often when we think our faith is failing and we feel like nothing is happening it is not our faith but our hope that needs to be renewed and restored.
I’ve discovered that when I feel like my strength is failing and my circumstances look like they are going in the wrong direction that it’s really important that I sure up my hope because otherwise disappointment and fear will start to try and undermine my expectation and I’ll end up being temped to quit.
God’s Word actually teaches us that hope is more than a desire or wish for something to happen. Hope when and where we have God involved is a supernatural expectancy. It’s a hope that looks beyond the natural possibilities to those things that God has promised us in His Word, and the agreement or covenant He has made with us to bring it to pass. Hope like this overrides natural abilities and circumstances and begins to believe again that all things are possible.
Hope with God involved isn’t simply knowing God’s promises, it also hinges on us seeing ourselves in possession of those promises, rather than seeing ourselves without them.
If you’ve grown weary or been hit with circumstances that might be tempting you to lose hope today, don’t quit. Don’t think you don’t have enough faith to keep believing, instead sure up your hope and gain new strength to keep moving forward.
Some things that help to renew my hope when I am tempted to quit or facing discouragement are found in taking the time to:
1. Get quiet and pray. Talk to God, listen and read the bible so that you can remind yourself of what He has promised. It’s in communication with God, who is the ultimate source of supernatural hope and where we can hear from him directly that primarily restores our hope.
2. Be around encouraging people. Guard your heart and the building of your hope by surrounding yourself with people of hope and faith who will encourage you to not give up. It’s by faith and patience that we inherit the promises of God and the last thing we need is negative doubt feeders when we are believing for something to happen. (Hebrews 6:12)
3. Listen, read, watch and talk about God’s promises. Listen to messages of hope and faith. There are some great preachers who constantly inject my life with hope. The world peddles doubt and fear, but if we keep our focus on what God says it will restore our hope and expectation for good things to happen in our life.
4. Refuse to give up – When it comes to restoring hope and seeing those things that God has promised happen we have to be a bit feisty. To get our “fight on” and refuse to be distracted or to give up. Determine in your heart not to be moved by what’s in front of you, but rather be moved only by what God says.
5. Keep your love on – Our faith works through and by love. Keep short accounts, forgive, let go of offense and hurts quickly and give them over to Jesus. Don’t go to bed angry and guard your heart for its the wellspring of your life. One of the surest ways to eradicate hope is strife, anger and bitterness, so don’t be cheated out of the life God has for you by letting things crowd out the love God has put in your heart. Keep your love on!
Today I encourage you to take some time to renew your hope because as you do you’ll gain an expectation that will keep your faith alive to bring all those things that God says are possible into your hands.
“May the God of hope so fill you with all joy and peace in believing that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound and be overflowing (bubbling over) with hope.” (Romans 15:13 Amplified bible)
“So do not fear, for I am with ; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)
Prayer: Lord please help me to restore my hope today and to keep believing for those things you have promised. I choose to forgive, to keep my love on, to focus on you and what you say about my life and to surround myself with positive faith filled people. In Jesus name Amen.