Whenever there is uncertainty it is very easy to be consumed by the loudest and most predominant noise. As the days and weeks drag by this noise can literally take over our lives and threaten to overwhelm us. But there are some steps we can take to survive and thrive in uncertain times.
Here are 5 steps to take when the world and life looks uncertain:
1. Keep the vision before you. If you have a vision board or specific goals written down take the time to put them before you. If you don’t have a vision, dream or know what you want in life, then take the opportunity to spend some time finding out. (See https://daylekinney.com/2019/12/01/1-dec-write-the-vision/ or https://daylekinney.com/2020/02/04/4-feb-you-can-do-it/ for more info on setting a vision)
2. You do may not be able to do everything, but you can do something. Think about what can you do to make use of your time so you can keep moving forward even in the midst of uncertainty. If you’re shut in, can’t go to work or unable right now to do the normal everyday activities then adjust and make this time work for you rather than against you.
“God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28 NLT)
3. Shut off the noise. It’s usually other people and circumstances telling us what we can’t do, peddling fear, discouragement or their point of view. Go to reliable sources of information, seek God and His word and shut out and turn off the rest. Use your efforts and mental and spiritual strength on what is truth and to focus on what you desire out of your life, rather than merely sitting back and waiting for your circumstances to improve or for people to change their behaviour. Control what you can control healthily, and give God the care of the rest.
4. Remember to Breathe. If you find yourself getting stressed and anxious:
- Breathe in for the count of 3 and out for the count of 3. Repeat that exercise 4 times.
- Regularly take at least 20 mins to do something fun and find different ways to relax..
- Do some type of exercise – YouTube and many people on instagram and other social media platforms have posted exercise routines if you are shut in right now. Be creative and think outside of the box and give it a try.
5. Connect with God. He wants to and is our our rock in uncertain times and the one who steadies and strengthens us. Take some time to check your foundations in him, and if you realise you are not secure or you feel a bit wobbly in your confidence then make the most of the opportunity to put down some roots and foundations in the one who holds the universe in the palm of His hand. Shut off the T.V, radio, social media and all the external noise and take time out with God; read the bible and get to know Him and who He is a little more.
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” (Psalm 18:2)
If you do these things you’ll find that while everyone else is running around in circles or stressing in their houses in lock-down, you’ll be the one able to remain calm and grounded, finding strategies and energy to keep moving ahead in some way.
Today adjust if you are needing to, keep your vision clearly visible and trust God to take care of you. Then when the uncertainty passes and the world gets back on a more even keel, you’ll have continued to be productive, whilst also being far more rested, peaceful and ready to continue running your race well.
Prayer: Lord thank you that even in uncertainty you are in control. Please help me to make the most of every opportunity to keep moving forward, to draw close to you and to remain steadfast and consistent in who I am. I ask for your peace to fill my heart today. In Jesus name Amen.