Many people know what it is to have a dream, but sometimes things don’t work out as planned, and we can wonder where we went wrong, whether we heard from God correctly and what we should do now?
I’ve discovered that it’s vital to look at what we do have going for us at these times and to stop, reflect, pinpoint, and write down where and why we feel like we’ve failed or are disappointed and where we have experienced success.
Then we can look to build on our successes and seek God over whether we can do anything about those things that didn’t go according to plan.
Today take a few moments to assess how your vision and dreams are progressing. If you feel like you have come to a “standstill” or you are suffering from discouragement, then step back, seek God and reassess:
1. Is the reality of pursuing your vision and dream what you thought? Is the passion still there? Do you need to take some time for God to heal and restore you?
2. What little step can you make today towards fulfilling the bigger picture? You may not feel like you can do everything right now, but what can you do?
3. Keep building on your successes, and do what you can do to achieve your dream.
You may not be the best at whatever you are working towards yet, but you can practice, train and start to build an image inside you of success and blessing today.
You may not preach to thousands right now, but you can walk across the street to share with and pray for your neighbours.
You may not have reached your goal of losing 20kg yet, but you can begin to make some wise choices about your eating and exercise today.
You may not be in a relationship, work or family situation of your dreams, but you can keep building your faith and expectation for good things to happen in your life and for God to move in your situation.
4. Encourage yourself with God’s Word – it’s “the manual for success” and holds the wisdom of Heaven in it.
5. Let go and give over any past disappointments or failures to God. Let Him restore your self-worth and self-esteem with what He says about you. Allow Him to renew the image inside you to one of success and not a failure; blessed, healthy, abundantly supplied, bold, and loved.
6. Write down God’s promises and carry them around with you. Every time you have a negative or fearful thought, you can remind yourself of God’s love and promises and renew your mind with what God says about your future.
7. Surround yourself with those who will believe in you, pray for you, and encourage you in your dreams and visions.
God says, “Roll your works upon the Lord. (Commit and trust them wholly to Him; He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will, and) so shall your plans be established and succeed.” (Proverbs 16:3)
“Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass.” (Psalm 37:5)
Decide what you can do today and then do it. And remember to keep walking!
Prayer: Lord, help to know where I am succeeding and where I need encouraging in your Word. Please show me what I can do right now to keep walking towards my dream and the vision you have put inside me. In Jesus name Amen.