To keep moving forward and to be the person I desire to become deep down and know God has purposed me to be, I try to regularly ask myself these questions, “How can I grow and develop what is already deposited inside of me.” “Who do I want to become, and what does that look like?“
God is not very interested in our behaviour modification. He is more concerned with our hearts than any outward performance and for us to become the fullest, most joyful version of ourselves, rather than to fill our lives up with doing, performance driven activity and striving.
“The Lord doesn’t see thing the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Sam 16:7)
God created us and looks to empower us to fulfil our potential and to bless the world with the best version of ourselves.
It’s about our point of focus and choosing to focus on who we seek to be and who Jesus says we are. Focus on that person, and all our outward actions will fall into line.
- Focus on the “be” and the “doing” will follow. (John 15:1-8)
- Focus on whom God says you are in His Word, and your thoughts about yourself will begin to be line up with who He says you are. (Romans 12:1-2)
- Focus on your future, and the past will start to lose its hold on you and fall away. (Philippians 3:13)
- Focus on better days ahead, and hope will begin to rise in your heart. (Jeremiah 29:11; Lamentations 3:21-23)
- Focus on being the best version of yourself and what that looks like, and God will do exceedingly more in you. (Ephesians 3:20)
- Who are you seeking to become today? Now with God’s help focus on that amazing person, and all your doing will follow!
Jesus said, “As you live in union with me as your source, fruitfulness will stream from within you—but when you live separated from me, you are powerless. If a person is separated from me, he is discarded; such branches are gathered up and thrown into the fire to be burned. But if you live in life-union with me and if my words live powerfully within you—then you can ask whatever you desire, and it will be done. When your lives bear abundant fruit, you demonstrate that you are my mature disciples who glorify my Father!” (John 15:5-8 TPT)
“I don’t depend on my own strength to accomplish this; however, I do have one compelling focus: I forget all of the past as I fasten my heart to the future instead.” (Philippians 3:13 TPT)
“But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:21-23)
“Don’t copy the behaviour and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” (Romans 12:2 NLT)
Prayer: Lord, thank you that you love me so much and believe in me. Please help me to keep growing in knowing you and fulfilling my potential. I choose to become everything you say I am. In Jesus name Amen.